In this article, we'll discuss how to set up menu items and modifiers to automatically be marked as unavailable based on the availability selected at the Toast POS level. We discuss what needs to be set up in the Lunchbox Admin Admin Dashboard to start pulling over this menu information for our Toast partners so they can simply remove or "86" menu items and modifiers inside of Toast instead of the Lunchbox Admin Dashboard.
- Toast Stock API Request
- Lunchbox Admin Dashboard Configuration
- Toast Process: 86 an Item from Toast POS & Toast Backend
- Workflow for confirming an Item has been 86'd on Lunchbox
Toast Stock API Request
If your Toast API Integration was not initially configured to include stock API access, you will need to reach out to your Toast Representative to allow Lunchbox access to your Toast Data Set for Stock API. Below is an example of that initial email sent to Toast. You will only need to include Stock API in the email if everything else is already configured:
Lunchbox Admin Dashboard Configuration
To start using Toast as your source of truth for marking items as unavailable and effectively removing or "86ing" them from your Lunchbox-powered online menu, you'll need to reach out to support or your Customer Success Manager to turn on permissions for your role to "Update the location availability to be based on the inventory for a menu item". Once that has been set up, you can start checking on items you would like to manage from Toast.
Step 1: Navigate to the Lunchbox Admin Dashboard and log in.
Now that this option has been set up for you by the Lunchbox Team, you can start selecting menu items (and modifiers) that you would like to pull availability updates from Toast when you make them.
Step 2: Navigate to Menu Entities>Menu Items>Item Name and check on "based on Inventory" to start pulling availability status from Toast. Once complete, hit Save:
NOTE: Once this is checked on, you will start seeing "Inventory Level" which will pull directly from Toast and show Out of Stock for items that have been 86'd on the Toast level.
Toast Process: 86 an Item from Toast POS & Toast Backend
How to 86 an item from the POS
How to 86 Menu Item or Modifier from Toast's Back-End
Workflow for confirming an Item has been 86'd on Lunchbox
Step 2: Navigate to the menu item or modifier in the Lunchbox Admin Dashboard and confirm that the item has changed from In Stock to Out of Stock:
Can you set an inventory quantity in Toast instead of just marketing the item as "Out of Stock?"
- At this time, Lunchbox is unable to pull stock quantities to effectively "count down" items until they are unavailable in Toast and reflect those changes to the Lunchbox Admin Dashboard. Simply put, Lunchbox will only pull In Stock vs Out of Stock.
Do these menu changes require a menu sync to be performed by Lunchbox Customer Support?
- No. Once you've made changes and saved them in Toast, those changes will reflect to Lunchbox within minutes without a menu sync.
I don't see the "based on inventory" checkbox? Is there something that needs to be set up by the Lunchbox team?
- Yes. To start using Toast as your source of truth for marking items as unavailable, you'll need to reach out to support or your Customer Success Manager to configure the following settings for the Admin Roles that should be given the permission to "Update the location availability to be based on the inventory for a menu item":