What is Uber Direct?
With Uber Direct, businesses can use Uber’s network of drivers and partners to move goods within their supply chain, between locations, and into the hands of their customers.
Uber Direct Features
- Proof of Delivery Features - Security features in place to ensure pickup and delivery of goods; signature may be required for some high-value deliveries, ID verification for alcohol deliveries, and photo proof of delivery for confirmation of "leave at door" orders.
- SMS - A delivery tracking link can be passed to customers and enabling SMS/push status notifications to help them follow the delivery as it progresses.
- Signature - Signature verification is used to provide proof of delivery through the delivery driver's app before drop-off is considered complete.
- Photo - A required photo at the point of drop-off can be enabled for non-contact deliveries and as an undeliverable action.
- Proof of Delivery - When a required photo at the point of drop-off is captured, a proof of delivery image file (POD) is created that includes the photo or signature that was captured by the delivery driver along with the delivery token ID for the job.
Uber Direct - Item Delivery Overview
Uber Direct Item Delivery Overview information is available at this link.
How does Uber Direct work?
After the sender makes a request to have an item delivered, the following process occurs for the delivery driver:
- An Uber Direct request is received by the delivery driver.
- The driver will go to the business and pick up the order, using the customer's name.
- Once the order is picked up, the delivery driver confirms through the app and heads to the customer with the order.
- The driver notifies the customer that they are at the drop-off point by using the app or phone call.
- The driver will make the delivery; if non-contact is needed, the order is placed at the customer's door and the delivery driver will distance themselves to ensure that the order is picked up.
- Once the customer is confirmed to have the order, the delivery driver confirms in the app that the delivery is completed.
- In the event that contact with the customer is not made within five (5) minutes after arrival, the app is allowed to continue running and the order is returned to the store.
NOTE: Uber Direct requests can be accepted by the delivery driver 5 am - 7 pm daily.
- If a Lunchbox customer does not use Postmates Delivery as a Service (DaaS) now, can they sign up with Uber Direct or do they sign up with Postmates?
- Lunchbox customers can integrate for either entity and as a result, they will be configured the same way through Lunchbox. Everyone who is integrating for Postmates are configured within the Uber space already.
The following are Uber Direct FAQs for Postmates Merchants:
- What do I have to do?
- If you are an existing Postmates Delivery as a Service (DaaS) API or Dashboard Platform merchant, we will automatically integrate your backend to the Uber Direct API Platform, so you will not need to update any API calls to take advantage of the combined platform. However, we are reviewing agreements carefully and we may reach out to discuss any non-standard terms (e.g., support policies).
- Are there any policies changing?
- Due to privacy concerns, delivery person photos will no longer be provided via webhook post-migration.
- What should I expect next?
- Once migrated, you will have delivery people from Uber picking up orders from your location, and you will also see your billing method reflect charges for delivery fees from Uber. The billing method that you have with Postmates will remain unchanged but will be charged by Uber rather than Postmates.
- For Postmates DaaS Dashboard users only, delivery management and billing will be moving to a new, Uber-powered Direct Dashboard and will require the creation of a new Uber account with new account credentials. This Uber Direct Dashboard will have all of the existing functionalities that you had on Postmates and you will be redirected to this Dashboard to create your account.
- Besides this, it should be business as usual, as we are working to ensure a smooth transition
- When will my account be migrated?
- Postmates DaaS API accounts will be migrated over the course of the next few months, and you will receive notice when your account migration is starting.
- Postmates DaaS Dashboard users will have to create a new Uber account with new account credentials to create deliveries on the Uber Direct Dashboard or view your billing statements. You will receive notice when your account migration is starting.
- Am I required to sign up for an Uber Direct account?
- If you are an existing Postmates API Platform merchant, we will automatically integrate your backend to the Uber API Platform, so you will not need to sign up for an Uber Account.
- For Postmates DaaS Dashboard users, delivery management and billing will be moving to a new, Uber-powered Direct Dashboard and will require the creation of a new Uber Direct Dashboard account with new account credentials.
- Will my Postmates DaaS account and API build be deleted?
- Initially, no. But over the course of the migration, you will no longer be supported by Postmates technology on the backend. However, there will be no change in how you interact with your on-demand API as all of the changes that will be made will happen on the back end. We will be in touch with details about any Postmates account changes in the near future.
- What settings will I have on Uber Direct?
- You will have the same settings on Uber as you did on Postmates DaaS including delivery radius, billing method, and trip pricing.
- Will my pricing change?
- No. Uber Direct will honor the pricing that you have in place with Postmates DaaS for the majority of accounts. However, we are reviewing agreements carefully, and we may reach out to discuss any non-standard terms.
- I want to see an Uber contract to confirm my pricing. How can I do this?
- Will my marketplace timeline match my Postmates API Platform timeline?
- No. The Postmates Marketplace and Postmates DaaS API Platform Migration timelines are happening independently. If you’d like further information about your marketplace migration, see here.
- Can I delay my go-live to a later date?
- Of course! We understand that timing is important, especially during these times. We can delay your activation on Uber’s API Platform by up to a month with the final activation date set in late May. Merchants will receive comms with further details closer to the new activation date. Please get in touch and reach out to your Uber or Postmates Account Manager and we can discuss your specific needs.
- Can I move up to an earlier date?
- We understand that while a few months aren’t far away, you might have more urgent needs. Please get in touch and reach out to your Uber or Postmates Account Manager and we can discuss your specific needs.
- Can you provide me with a copy of my contract?